Welcome to My Bumpy Ride.......

Before you all read on, I guess it is best to introduce myself to you and let you know a bit about myself. I am Susan, and first and foremost, I am a mother to a wonderful young man. Though he is grown, he will always be that three year old little boy, that asked all those questions and expected answers to them all. Though I will tell you much about myself in this blog there is no one or nothing that is as important to me as him, even if I don't discuss him much, because he kina likes to remain private.

For years I was actively trying to find myself, but that was a big waste of time, since by doing so I was not living. All my life I have always known that I was "different", but was unable to know why that was. I first thought that perhaps it was because I was adopted, but that was not the case. Turns out, I am bipolar and pretty much have been all my life. This was explained to me about nine years ago when I had a major melt down. I tend to be more on the depressive side, but have on occasion been quite manic. My last episode was early thru mid 2008, with full blown depression. For five months, I bearly left my house, let alone my bed. Why am I telling you this? I just want it out in the open and let you understand that I discuss my illness from time to time.

Present day, I am currently a full time student, studying social work. At the end of 2011 I was approached by a mentor of mine, who mentioned a new program that was going to launch here in Rhode Island. This new program called the Peer Wellness Coaching, was something that I had always wished would become a reality and to add even more excitement was the fact that this mentor was inviting me to train for a position as one of the Peer Wellness Coaches.

So currently (spring 2012) I am part of the three phases of training and should be employed by the fall of 2012. What is even more excellent about this program is that they are aware of my education goals and are willing to work with me on maintaining those goals.

Also you might hear me mention NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness), because I am actively involved with them. I am a facilitator and state trainer for the NAMI Connection groups (peer run support group) here in Rhode Island, and I also help teach high school and college students about mental illness through NAMI RI's Inside Mental Illness program.

So with all that being said...I hope you read on to my daily activities and thoughts and such.




Thursday, August 2, 2012

Alphabe-Thursday – Kid




Alphabe-Thursday through Jenny Matlock’s blog.  Today’s letter is K. So here goes…
I don’t really share much about my son (Kid) here, but being that today is the letter K, I could not resist.  He is most definitely someone to be proud of.  And I will briefly share why.

He is 21 and he works fulltime at a very good job, maintains good grades at college full time, maintains his apartment that he shares with girlfriend and he pays all his own bills.  He gets no money help from anyone for his apartment, car, and education. He is very respectful and courteous to other people. 

He treats his girlfriend like a princess and you can see how well when you see them together.  Just so as not to leave his girlfriend out, she is doing the same as him, with working full time and attending college fulltime.  They are great together and they both seem generally happy together. 

My son is someone a mother could for sure be proud to call her son.  The picture above is from a group of shots I took of the both of them when they came to visit last month.  The pictures below are of him growing up.  Hope you enjoy.

A beautiful boy is born Nov 1990

Pre-School

At one of many air shows with Grandpa at around 6 yrs

A funny 9 yr old

An 11th Birthday

At around 13 yrs with mom

At around 14 yrs

15 yrs

17 yrs

On his own at 19 yrs

21st Birthday

13 comments:

  1. No wonder you are so proud of him!! Very impressive indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOu have a great son and are a wonderful mother. There is no better job in the world. xo Jenny (mother of 5 adult children)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have every reason to be proud! What a great young man...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am proud to say that I could bestow all those kudos on my own sons. Wonderful post!!! Aren't we blessed!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's fun to see Kid mature. He certainly is someone to be proud of! Great family post! {:-Deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Most kids don't exhibit the traits you describe without considerable parental influence--you did a good job, Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did GOOD Mama. Your kid has grown up to be a responsible young man that any mother would be proud to call son! Thanks for sharing this precious part of your life with us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks as if you did a very good job as mom !

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful son and one to be proud of :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did a great job, and he did a great job coming into his own responsible person!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A son to be proud of for sure!

    Loved seeing his pictures from kute baby to klever and kapable young man!

    Thanks for sharing this.

    The whole post made my heart smile!

    A+

    ReplyDelete