Welcome to My Bumpy Ride.......

Before you all read on, I guess it is best to introduce myself to you and let you know a bit about myself. I am Susan, and first and foremost, I am a mother to a wonderful young man. Though he is grown, he will always be that three year old little boy, that asked all those questions and expected answers to them all. Though I will tell you much about myself in this blog there is no one or nothing that is as important to me as him, even if I don't discuss him much, because he kina likes to remain private.

For years I was actively trying to find myself, but that was a big waste of time, since by doing so I was not living. All my life I have always known that I was "different", but was unable to know why that was. I first thought that perhaps it was because I was adopted, but that was not the case. Turns out, I am bipolar and pretty much have been all my life. This was explained to me about nine years ago when I had a major melt down. I tend to be more on the depressive side, but have on occasion been quite manic. My last episode was early thru mid 2008, with full blown depression. For five months, I bearly left my house, let alone my bed. Why am I telling you this? I just want it out in the open and let you understand that I discuss my illness from time to time.

Present day, I am currently a full time student, studying social work. At the end of 2011 I was approached by a mentor of mine, who mentioned a new program that was going to launch here in Rhode Island. This new program called the Peer Wellness Coaching, was something that I had always wished would become a reality and to add even more excitement was the fact that this mentor was inviting me to train for a position as one of the Peer Wellness Coaches.

So currently (spring 2012) I am part of the three phases of training and should be employed by the fall of 2012. What is even more excellent about this program is that they are aware of my education goals and are willing to work with me on maintaining those goals.

Also you might hear me mention NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness), because I am actively involved with them. I am a facilitator and state trainer for the NAMI Connection groups (peer run support group) here in Rhode Island, and I also help teach high school and college students about mental illness through NAMI RI's Inside Mental Illness program.

So with all that being said...I hope you read on to my daily activities and thoughts and such.




Friday, November 5, 2010

Entry for November 5, 2010 OMG is that the Score I Got

I could not believe the score I received on my Math exam.  Out of a hundred percent I got a 112%.  What that means is, I didn’t get anything wrong on the exam and I also got both bonus questions right.  That is a way go me kina thing, isn’t it.  Who would have thought that I would understand Logic so well?  We started a new section today called, Counting Methods and Probability Theory.  What this basically means is we finally get to work with numbers.  FINALLY!  I had an hour between Psy and Math, so I decided that I would see what we would be doing, and I way know this stuff.  I am so excited.  Now I will have a clue and might actually use it someday.

I am not as stoked about what happened in Psy today, though.  We had a quiz and it was not a pop quiz or anything, but I feel as though I totally bombed this one.  It is my own fault really.  I had plenty of time before hand to study and I did write all the material down, but I kept on putting it off and off and well I basically studied on the bus on the way to school today.  So if I did bomb it, I have no one to blame but myself.  I will learn from it and begin to study this weekend for the exam we have on Friday.

I am showing some symptoms of my mental illness that I won’t go into detail about, but it has me worried a bit.  I am grateful that I have the knowledge of it and can see what I can do about it, but I wish I was not in transition with a therapist right now.  I have not heard news about who I will be getting or when I will get to see that person since my last therapist left almost two weeks ago.  This is concerning me some but I think I am strong enough in my own recovery to handle this situation. 



I guess because of the way I am feeling these last couple of days, this picture I chose for today fits perfect.  How many of you all have had a slinky at some point in your life.  I know I have had quite a few.  TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment